Pranayama is a very crucial practice in purifying the energy channels and strengthening them further. Anulom Vilom Pranayama is one such pranayama which helps the body in many ways if practiced regularly and in the correct way. Anulom Vilom also activates the Kundalini and creates a strong aura inside and outside the body. It is the main type of pranayama which is advised to perform for about 15 to 30 minutes daily. If done like this, then it makes the spirit divine and gives good relief to the body.
What is Anulom Vilom Pranayama?
Other names of Anulom Vilom Pranayama are Alternate Nostril Breathing Exercise and Nadi Shodhana Pranayama. As per ancient texts and Vedas, Prana is the foundation of all life forms on earth. It is the subtle energy flowing through our bodies and is responsible for every movement done in our bodies. It is also known as the “life force energy” and “vital energy”. Anulom Vilom pranayama is the practice to awaken the prana in the body so that one achieves good health and fitness.
Yoga can be practiced by an individual of 3 years of age till his whole life. There is no age limit in yoga. Similarly, yoga never discriminates on the basis of gender, religion, and caste. In yoga, we all are a child of one God, we all are one, and we all are equal. Yoga teaches us brotherhood, purity, co-existence, and oneness. Do Anulom Vilom continuously without getting disturbed. If one does it regularly, one achieves health, wealth, success, peace, power, and prosperity.
The pranayama is done in between Ida Nadi and Pingala Nadi to balance them. It is done by alternative breathing from the right and the left nostril. Let’s move further to know how it is practiced?
How to Do Anulom Vilom Pranayama?
- Sit straight in any meditative pose.
- Place the thumb of the right hand on the side of the right nostril to block that part. (Your hand should be in Vayu Mudra)
- Breathe slowly from the left nostril for 2.5 seconds and release in 2.5 seconds. (Keep in mind to start it always from the left nostril).
- Repeat the same process by blocking the left nostril and breathing and releasing through the right nostril.
One round of alternative breathing is of 5 minutes and it is done 1 time in 10 seconds. If you are not having any disease or illness, then you can practice it for 15 minutes but if you are suffering from any specific disease, try to do it for 30 minutes daily.
In yoga, the left nostril is termed Chandra Nadi, Ida Nadi, and Ganga Nadi while the right nostril is termed Surya Nadi, Pingala Nadi, and Yamuna Nadi. Sushumana Nadi is between Ida Nadi and Pingala Nadi. With Anulom Vilom Pranayama, all three Nadis or Energy channels get purified.
Benefits of Anulom Vilom Pranayama
- It cures hypertension.
- It is beneficial for Heart issues.
- It improves the brain by making sharp memory and high IQ level.
- It purifies Nadis (Energy Channels).
- It activates Chakras or Energy Centres.
- It provides an individual with good control over the body, mind, thoughts, emotions, feelings, and actions.
- It cures problems like migraine and epilepsy.
- It manages anger issues.
- It overcomes stress and depression.
- It gives relief to autoimmune diseases.
- It is good for the eyes.
Precautions of Anulom Vilom Pranayama
Well, yoga is not a practice which has many precautions. As it is not just a practice of the body but that of mind and soul too, it improvises your whole well-being. The same goes with Anulom Vilom Pranayama. Anulom Vilom Pranayama can be done by anyone irrespective of age and gender. Some things to remember before practicing Anulom Vilom are –
- Always take proper training from a known professional or a yoga school before starting the practice.
- Blogs & Articles are for reading purposes only, never start your training by just reading them.
- However yoga can be done by anyone, still, it will be better if you take your doctor’s advice before practicing it in case you are on medications.
- Never do Anulom Vilom Pranayama after a heavy diet.
- In starting, never go off limits. Start with a shorter round and then gradually increase your time.
- Never try to hold your breath forcefully.
- If you are having congestion, never practice Anulom Vilom.
Frequesntly Asked Questions
It will be better if you practice Anulom Vilom Pranayama early in the morning, on an empty stomach. Otherwise, you can also practice it in the evening but not after taking a heavy meal.
Cancer is a big disease. It is fast to say anything about it. But several research has proved that doing 1-2 hour practice of Anulom Vilom can cure Cancer. But it all depends on the level and type of cancer.
Anulom Vilom Pranayama is also known as Alternative Breathing Practice. That is in this, you first inhale and exhale from the left nostril by blocking the right nostril and then inhale and exhale from the right nostril by blocking the left nostril. When you do that then you are activating your right brain and left brain. From the left nostril, the right brain gets activated and from the right nostril, the left brain gets activated.
It is recommended that pregnant women practice it only after proper consultation with our doctor. As there are certain restrictions and precautions for women during pregnancy period.
It is not necessary that you should sit in Padmasana for practicing Anulom Vilom Pranayama. You can also sit in Sukhasana or in any other posture to practice it.