A type of pranayama practice which is not just an exercise of letting your stomach in and out but actually a Panacea. It’s Kapal Bhati Pranayama, which is also known as Skull (Kapal) and To Shine (Bhati), i.e the practice to shine the skull. If you keep practicing it daily then you could keep your body fit and fine. Let’s move closer to knowing it.
What is Kapalbhati Pranayama?
It is a yogic breathing technique which is a combination of little but power packed exhales and mild inhales. As per Hatha Yoga Pradipika, Kapalbhati is one of the six cleansing techniques of the body, also known as the Shatkarma practice. As it involves breathing practice, that’s why Kapalbhati is also in the Pranayama category. As per some research, about 80% of toxins elements are released with outgoing breath. So, if one practices Kapalbhati regularly then it helps in detoxifying the system of the whole body. It is known as skull-shining breath as practicing it regularly helps in filling your skull with illuminating light. Keep in mind to practice the pranayama empty stomach always.
How to Do Kapalbhati Pranayama?
It is believed that power doesn’t come from eating but from digesting. The body will get nutrition only if the food is properly digesting. If you are practicing it for the first time, then don’t push yourself off the limits. Start it by practicing for even a second and stop. Slowly and gradually move to 10 minutes, then 15 minutes, and then more. Inhale powerfully for a second and stop then exhale slowly. This is the right practice to perform Kapalbhati Pranayama.
Step-by-Step Guide to Practice Kapalbhati Pranayama
- Sit in a comfortable position by keeping your spine straight. Place your hand on your knees in Jnana Mudra.
- Inhale powerfully with a deep breath.
- Exhale slowly contracting your lower stomach.
- Release your abdomen quickly.
- Let breath automatically flow in the lungs.
- After the completion of one round, feel the sensation inside you.
- Repeat similarly.
Benefits of Kapalbhati Pranayama
Kapalbhati Pranayama has many benefits. If you are a student, then you should do it definitely as while studying, our brain involves greatly. And every yoga practice nourishes the brain too while nourishing the body.
- Performing Kapalbhati daily removes obesity and makes you fit.
- Kapalbhati Pranayama solves gastric issues.
- It cures constipation.
- The problems of fistula get cured with Kapalbhati Pranayama.
- This type of pranayama practice healthifies the stomach and liver.
- It is beneficial for Kidney stones.
- Kapalbhati cures the problem of polycystic ovaries.
- Males face the problems of enlargement of the prostate gland but with Kapalbhati, this can be cured.
- Daily practice of Kapalabhati increases Haemoglobin in the body.
- Continuous Kapalbhati Pranayama practice cures deficiency of iron, calcium, vitamin B12, and vitamin D.
- A genetic disorder like Sickle Cell Anaemia gets cured with the practice of it.
- One experiences miraculous results in curing the problem of diabetes, cholesterol, and heart problem.
- It minimises fatigue and other health issues.
- Kapalbhati clears subtle energy channels, sinuses and allergies.
Precautions of Kapalbhati Pranayama
- If one is not comfortable with basic breathing exercises then one should start practicing Kapalbhati under the supervision of a trained professional or a yoga school.
- Kapalbhati Pranayama should be avoided by women who are pregnant or menstruating.
- If someone is on an artificial pacemaker, then he/she should avoid the Kapalbhati breathing technique.
- Those who are suffering from epilepsy, hernia or some abdominal surgery should avoid Kapalbhati.
- If you are having any health issues, then go slowly with the practice.
- Don’t perform kriya just after having a meal.
- Those facing slipped discs should take a doctor’s advice before performing Kapalbhati.
Frequently Asked Question
This is a myth which is considered a true fact by many people. But it is completely false. There is also research published regarding this matter. The research describes the process of Kapalbhati. Around 2000 research papers published on this topic. If you are doing it 1 time in 1 second, there is no harm, even hypertension gets cured, blocage starts curing, cholesterol and sugar level start balancing, and the weight starts managing. If you are a youngster and not facing any problems, then you can do it fastly. It is helpful for all.
Well, there is not any problem with starting it on your own. But still, if you are starting it for the first time, then it is better to take start it under the supervision of a trained teacher or a yoga school.
Never start anything with the expectation of fast results. Do anything as a devotion only then you are able to learn it perfectly and gain desired results. So, keep patience and believe in practice, sooner or later you get relieved from the disease you are facing.
There are many reasons for fatigue and one major reason is low Haemoglobin. If you are having a low Hb then definitely, you feel low and exhausted. With the regular practice of Kapalbhati, one can increase one’s haemoglobin level and eventually cures fatigue and exhaustion.
Shatkarmas are Yogic Cleansing Practice and so Kapalbhati. Kapalbhati removes toxins from the body and mind and makes you fit and fine. This is the reason that it also comes under the category of Shatkarmas.
Kapalbhati should be done early in the morning on an empty stomach. It benefits you greatly during that time.
Kapalbhati should be done in a maximum of 20-25 minutes.
Kapalbhati is also known as Skull Shining Breath in English.
There are three types of Kapalbhati, i.e. Vatakrama, Vyutkrama, and Sheetkrama.
- Bhramari Pranayama – How to Do IT, Benefits, Precautions, FAQS
- Bhastrika Pranayama – How to Do It, Benefits, Precautions, FAQS
- Anulom Vilom Pranayama – How to Do It, Benefits, Precautions & FAQs
- Kapalbhati Pranayama – How to Do It, Benefits & Precautions
- Why Yoga Teacher Training in Rishikesh? – A Complete Guide to Yoga in Rishikesh